Trainyard

KotH Trainyard A4

ToxicRave

L1: Registered
Nov 28, 2014
Note: The name is temporary.

6 months and 4 scraped maps later, I finally came up with a layout that is somewhat decent. Considering that the map is taking place in a trainyard and all, I plan on adding a train here and there. But for now I want to fine tune the design of the map before I end up dumping a crap load of entities onto it.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2012
I like what you've scraped so far but there might need to be a bit more scraping before you've got a finished product.

Zed

Certified Most Crunk™
aa
Aug 7, 2014
Scrape, scrape, scrape, Senora, scrape your body line...

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
It looks like a decent start, and I'd like to try it out, but from experience I worry that the height difference is too much to be fun.

Looking at your first screenshot, the left window seems too small and situational to be of any good use apart from camping snipers who are pressed on staring through the tiny hole. The point looks kinda fun - could get some good HWG + medic fights and spam streaking by, but the point looks a bit unforgiving to people falling off the sides (make point larger, or just make it less dangerous to fall off). It's really cramped in those lower areas and you become easy targets for basically every class. The overall area, if this really is the size of the map, looks too small to open up any interesting decisions to the players which will probably make people bored within 10 minutes of play (look at viaduct koth, its a more open area with dedicated areas for snipers and engis to hold forwards, but its open enough that scouts can just jump up the fronts and soldiers can jump from the rollout points). I haven't played the map at all, but from what I can see I'd recommend some area expansion.

Last edited:

ToxicRave

Nov 28, 2014
I had finally finished the second alpha, with one of my main goals with this version was to simplify the level layout to ensure the players won't end up getting lost in the map. In addition to that I also did a bunch of minor changes just as for example modifying ammo/health placements. So in general the differences from this version from the last one should be night and day.

edit: Did some minor updates to the level, nothing more.

Last edited:

Moonfixer

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 23, 2014
Looks interesting so far. I especially look forward to seeing how the area directly around the point plays.

ToxicRave

Nov 28, 2014
It took me a bit but I finally got around updating the map, and at long last the map now has train in it.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Just so you know, trains in real life never go up a slope more than 7 degrees. You seem to have a slope of nearly 45 degrees. Its very hard to move several hundred tons of steel up a grade that steep, and likewise something coming down that slope would instantly derail and drive itself into the ground.

ToxicRave

Nov 28, 2014
Alright so this was probably the quickest update that I ever had with this level, but at the same time this update isn't as meaty compared to the previous ones. With that aside, I actually decided to add a forward(ish) spawn for the attacking team once the point had been capture. The reason for this is because even though there was back to back fighting over for the control point, I kinda felt that the defensive side had it a bit too easy. So with the attacking team being able to get to the control point 2 seconds faster then the defensive team, they should have a easier team pushing the defensive team back.