Shingle

PLR shingle a7

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
To get my feet wet with how Payload works, I've drawn up a (hopefully) fast paced
Payload Race map, while trying to break the stalemate-yness that the gamemode attracts.

RED and BLU are each trying to monopolize the Australium Substitute supplies of the Pacific Northwest, and are butting heads in a rundown shipping town.

There is an emphasis on vertical differences, especially around the Payload tracks themselves, I will be watching to see if jumping classes become to strong.

a3 - With the map opened up slightly, I am looking for a lot of feedback on whether ranged classes have become more effective around the middle of the map. Further iterations will likely be focusing on removing sniper sightlines and improving general flow of gameplay.

a4 - Mostly tested privately with the help of a few experienced mappers, not publicly tested much. Starts of rollback zones added in order to help defending teams make a comeback.

a5 - Slight rebalancing with slightly more intuitive ramping/stairways, just minor changes.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
This seemed to do a good job of avoiding a stalemate during the test, so that's a good sign.

leprecan

Feb 10, 2013
Bumping with the more important changelogs.

a4 - Raised track inside warehouse area, added rollback
- Increased lighting map wide
- Track to final cap raised, upward style rollback added
- Health and ammo pickups rebalanced
- Central tower hollowed
- Cart paths altered

a5 - Health and ammo packs rebalanced
- Lowered metal cover by final caps
- Fixed respawnvisualizer
- Railings fixed to be symmetrical

Preliminary testing indicates that the changes helped with the comeback issues experienced in a3, higher population playtests should help cement whether this is a pervasive issue or not.

puxorb

L69: Emoticon
aa
Dec 15, 2013
Great map so far! I only have one small issue:

2014-03-12_00001.jpg

This ledge looks short enough in game to be able to walk straight over, and you can for the most part except on the far right portion (same on the red side). If you could just move the displacement up a tiny bit to make that even, or possibly increase the distance to force players to crouch-jump it would make the whole area better. Its just that I was not expecting to be stopped by it when I was running through the map.

Other than that I think the layout of this map is excellent, and I am digging the art-direction.

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
I was really into this during the impromptu yesterday, can't wait to see where it goes.

leprecan

Feb 10, 2013
Changes to this version include:
  • Under has been removed and replaced with a small shack at the edge of mid
    Shack.jpg
  • Sniper balconies have been extended to make use of empty space
  • Spawns have been made more defensible
  • Health and ammo pickups have been revised
  • Mid has a new coat of snow and some more uneven terrain
    Mid_B.jpg
  • A major entrance to lobby has been shut, I'm keeping an eye on how this changes pathing
  • Spectator cameras added
  • Rollback zones now slow the cart by 50%
  • Handrails no longer block bullets and explosives
  • More crates in warehouse
  • More signage around spawn

Read the rest of this update entry...