Haybale

Model Haybale 1.0

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Quickie haybale (or haybarrel) model done at grazr's request. The scraggly bits could use more work, but I need to focus on other things. :)

The model fits within a 128x128 square. Hope folks find it useful!

Kep

------------------------------------------------------
Readme.txt as follows:

Team Fortress 2 Model: Haybale, Round (Haybarrel)
Release: 07-29-2010
Author: Kep Pump, aka EArkham

CONTENTS:
* screenshot_haybale.jpg

* haybale_README.txt

* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.mdl
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.dx80.vtx
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.dx90.vtx
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.phy
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.sw.vtx
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.vvd
* models/earkham/props_farm/haybale_round.jpg

* materials/models/earkham/props_farm/haybarrel001.vmt
* materials/models/earkham/props_farm/haybarrel001.vtf
* materials/models/earkham/props_farm/haybarrel002.vmt
* materials/models/earkham/props_farm/haybarrel002.vtf

DESCRIPTION:

* ~1100 polys
* LODs of ~700 @ 40m, ~350 @ 60m
* Textures are 1024x1024 w/ alpha

INSTRUCTIONS:
Unzip this archive to the "SteamApps\[USERNAME]\team fortress 2\tf\" directory and content should be placed automatically.

This is an original model created with XSI Mod Tool, Sculptris, and Adobe Photoshop CS.

USAGE:

You are free to use this in any Team Fortress 2 map, including contest-related maps (if contest rules allow custom content).

Do not modify or redistribute without asking me first.

Please give credit as: Kep "Earkham" Pump, necromancer@necrotales.com

Thanks, and I hope folks find this useful! :)

Kep

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
And obligatory followup post. :)

Oh, and if there's anything wrong with the download, please let me know and I'll fix it soon as I can.

Kep

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i hate thankpostings ;)
as if there won't come up things you can reply to later in the thread :D
said it once and I'll say it again. that work comes so unexpected. if only you would do work like this more often in here ! totally excellent model and texture all over

i'll refused to put my thanks on that thing above me :p

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Heh! Yeah, I kind of agree, but it seemed like it was the status quo thing to do. I'll probably skip that in the future then. :)

Kep

koth

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2010
i think the texture on the round haybales are a little corse, otherwise they are good

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
One thing that i found odd actually was that the texture shows on the inside as well. Does this mean it gets rendered twice, on both planes? Or is that just the alpha setting making it do that?

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
I can't believe I didn't see this thread! These look great, but maybe you could make a 64x64 version as well?

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
@koth - Textures might be a bit coarse for the size, but they're definitely tons better than the one for the little haybale that Valve made... their texture is heavily pixelated.

@grazr - My guess is that the texture on the inside is probably due to $alphatest. Went through and noticed my other models don't do that. The engineer dispenser does it; the player models don't.

@nerdboy - I can make some more sizes, sure. Remind me when the artpass contest is over. :)

Kep

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Oops. Didn't notice that. I was using a template. Will fix for next "promo poster" I make.

Kep

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
FYI this model has a bug where you can see it's inside when fading. Presumably this is because it's a single material set to alpha, so when it fades they appear to render insider out.

Last edited:

Draco18s

L9: Fashionable Member
Sep 19, 2009
FYI this model has a bug where you can see it's inside when fading. Presumably this is because it's a single material set to alpha, so when it fades they appear to render insider out.

Most props are like that. Check out Valve's tire, dumptruck, haybale, and mine cart. As well as a few others.

grazr

aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's even more significant with this prop as it's so large. Lit from one side the shadow on the other (or vice versa) the effect sticks out like a sore thumb.

I just thought i would say in case EArkham wanted to look at the prop again.

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Yah, I'll take a look at it later. Probably split the straw scraggles to a seperate material so $alphatest isn't used on the whole thing.

Kep

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
The solution is to make it not fade until it's out of sight. Around a corner, what-have-you. Props suddenly fading out of view looks weird no matter how solid they are.